It's been a long, cold, terrible winter! What better harbinger of spring than sweet little chicks!
We will be raising chicks in our window at 269 Main Street, and selling them to folks as 8-week pullets. Help support Backyard Growers by pre-ordering your pullets today! Contact Lara to place your order.
Most people don't like to raise day old chicks because of all the work. Let us do the work for you! We’ll raise your chicks into healthy young pullets, and all you have to do is take them home. They will be ready to go right outside, into a coop, and in a couple short months, start producing eggs.
Not up for chicken ownership, but still want to support us? Consider making a donation to help us pay for the chicks' needs as we raise them into fine, young pullets!
Details of the chick program are below.
ABOUT THE CHICKS:
- The chicks arrive the week of March 30th
- We will raise them in our front window at 269 Main Street following proper chick rearing methods. Breeds are to be determined based on availability.
- The chicks will be ready to go home with their new owners the week of May 18th (at 8 weeks).
- These birds will all be standard size hens, no bantams.
- 90% guaranteed pullets, 10% chance you could get a rooster!
- The chicks come from Agway in Danvers. Agway receives the chicks sexed from a hatchery.
- All chicks are vaccinated at a day old for Marek’s disease.
- We are only raising 12 pullets! So we will have a limited supply.
- I will start taking pre-orders on March 23rd on a first come, first served basis.
- The minimum purchase is three. (Single or pair birds do not do well when integrated into an average flock even at 8 weeks. The pullets need to be slowly introduced.)
- You must have a chicken coop installed on your property prior to making your pre-order.
- You are welcome to visit your growing babies at Backyard Growers. Please contact me beforehand if you are coming in to visit your pullets. Sorry! But you won’t be able to handle them until you take them home. You can always see them from the street. No need to contact us ahead of time for that.
- Pricing: $40 per bird with a three bird minimum for a total cost of $120 (This is about $15 more per pullet than they usually cost. But Hey! It’s a fundraiser!).
- We require a $5 nonrefundable deposit per bird. Deposits are cash or check only. The deposit is to ensure you will pick up your birds.
- The latest we will hold birds is 8 weeks. If you have not picked up your birds after 8 weeks and we have tried to contact you more then once, we have the right to sell to the next person on the wait list.
- When you come to pick up your hens please bring a carrier and be prepared to pay in full with cash or check only.
- You will need to purchase Chick Grower food for your 8-week old pullets. The pullets will be ready to live outside. At 16 weeks you can begin to feed them layer pellets.
- We do not accept returns or refunds, and we do not replace live or deceased poultry.
AN ENORMOUS THANK YOU TO ASHLEY'S CHICKENS AND DANVERS AGWAY FOR ALL THEIR HELP!
We are following Ashley’s guidelines and thank her immensely for letting us use her policy and procedure language from her website for our fundraiser! Please visit Ashley's Chickens for information and resources, and pay special attention to her FAQ page and Helpful Links page. Also check out Danvers Agway at for all your chicken supply needs!