The Rocky Neck Art Colony (RNAC) and Backyard Growers will host FRESH, a six-week exhibition at the Cultural Center at Rocky Neck February 2, through March 12, 2017.
This is an exciting collaboration by two inspiring non-profits—Backyard Growers, which cultivates an active relationship with food and the earth, and Rocky Neck Art Colony, which encourages and promotes excellence in the arts.
FRESH exhibit and events are sponsored by Duckworth’s Bistrot, Short & Main, and Artscope Magazine; as well as, Patty Knaggs Real Estate, Peter Dorsey: Coldwell Banker, Beverly, MA: North Shore Abode., and Neptune’s Harvest.
In this exhibition, artists from all over New England will present works that reflect on the theme FRESH, exploring the ways in which food connects us to the earth, nourishes us, and ties us to, warmth, family, friends, and memories. FRESH is the sense of new life that emerges as we leave the dark of winter for the optimism of spring. Contemporary, experimental and traditional art in all media will be on view. Artwork for the exhibit was chosen by juror, Dawn Southworth.
Backyard Growers is a Gloucester-based grassroots organization that encourages a deep connection with the earth—providing resources for homes, communities, schools and organizations to establish vegetable gardens. Their mission is to create lifelong gardeners inspired by the power of growing one’s own food, and create a cycle of good nutrition and a healthy relationship with the earth.
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”—J.R.R. Tolkien
Rocky Neck Art Colony member artists and Backyard Growers volunteers have created lectures and workshops to accompany the exhibition. Lara Lepionka, an artist and Executive Director of Backyard Growers, will give a lecture at the Cultural Center at Rocky Neck, 6 Wonson Street, on February 9. Three workshops (February 16, March 2, and March 9), will be presented at the Backyard Growers headquarters, 269 Main Street. The closing reception on March 12, 2-4 p.m. will include a raffle of a wonderful basket of gifts donated by Gloucester and Rockport merchants.
FRESH Exhibit Companion Events At A Glance:
- Feb 4 – Opening Reception/Raffle Launch (6 Wonson Street) 5-7pm
- Feb 9 – From Paper Pods to Pea Pods, an artist’s presentation by Lara Lepionka, Artist and Executive Director of Backyard Growers (6 Wonson Street) 7pm
- Feb 16 – Pressed Flower Art Workshop and Free Seed Swap (269 Main Street) 7pm
- Mar 2 – Eco & Produce Printing Workshop, 6 pm and Seed Starting Workshop, 7 pm (6 Wonson St)
- Mar 9 – Square Foot Gardening Workshop (269 Main Street) 7pm
- Mar 12 – Closing Reception/Raffle Event (6 Wonson Street) 2-4pm
To register for workshops please visit http://www.backyardgrowers.org/events/. Proceeds from FRESH events will be shared equally by Rocky Neck Art Colony and Backyard Growers.
For More Information:
- Email RNAC at email@example.com
- Visit Backyard Growers’ website at www.backyardgrowers.org
- Dawn Southworth www.dawnsouthworth.com